Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Texas Caviar

1/2 yellow onion, chopped fine

1 green bell pepper, chopped fine

1 bunch green onions, chopped fine

1 jalapeno pepper, chopped fine

1 T minced garlic

2-3 fresh tomatoes on the vine, chopped fine

1 (8 oz) bottle zesty Italian dressing (I mixed up my own from a mix with some vinegar, some lime juice)

1/2 tsp ground coriander

1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 cup dried black beans, cooked, rinsed, drained (or 1 can)

1/2 cup dried white beans, cooked, rinsed, drained (or 1 can)

1/2 cup wheat (to make into wheat berries)

I cook the dried beans in separate slow cookers, so the white beans don’t look gray, about 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. You can cook the wheat with the white beans. Then just mix everything, cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving. For me, it seemed a little runny still, so I added in some cooked brown rice. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments: